Cryptocurrency, electric cars, and puzzles - just some of the topics covered in today's tech news. Highlights include a rundown of the Venice Film Festival, an update on the status of Dogecoin, and musings on the future of Amazon's stock.
The Impact of Cryptocurrency on the Energy Industry
- The Venice Film Festival is underway, and our second week roundup covers some of the stand-out films so far. We also take a look at the challenges faced by the event, and the joy that comes from discovering great cinema.
- EmpiresX, a "crypto platform" that turned out to be a $100 million fraud scheme, has plead guilty. The scheme's "head trader" admitted to running the operation, which duped investors.
- Dogecoin creator Jackson Palmer says he was "annoyed" when Tesla CEO Elon Musk tried to send the cryptocurrency "to the moon." Musk's tweets about Dogecoin have caused its price to fluctuate wildly.
- Believe the Fed...More PAIN on the Way for Stocks: The Federal Reserve is poised to continue its policy of quantitative easing, which will likely result in more pain for the stock market.
- Argentina's currency exchange black markets: Argentina's currency is in a tailspin, and its citizens are turning to black market exchange dealers to get their hands on US dollars.
- White House Is Mulling a Ban on Bitcoin Mining: The White House is reportedly considering a ban on Bitcoin mining, due to the cryptocurrency's energy-intensive proof-of-work algorithm.
- Regulating email providers: The US government is considering regulating email providers, in an attempt to crack down on spam and other electronic threats.
- What Is a Crypto Gas War?: A "crypto gas war" is a conflict between two or more cryptocurrency projects that results in high transaction fees and slow transaction times.
- LocalBitcoins vs. Paxful: Which Is the Best P2P Marketplace?: LocalBitcoins and Paxful are two of the most popular peer-to-peer (P2P) cryptocurrency exchanges. But which one is better?
- Shape-shifting cryptominer savaging Linux endpoints and IoT: A new type of cryptocurrency-mining malware, called "Cradle," is targeting Linux servers and internet-of-things devices.
- 10 Weekend Reads: A round-up of the week's best technology writing, including stories on Amazon's drone delivery program, the future of email, and the death of the PC.
- Master of Nothing: Carl Pei on the business of hype, and building an ecosystem: In an interview, OnePlus co-founder Carl Pei talks about the business of hype, and how he built an ecosystem around his company's smartphones.
- Here's My Top Cryptocurrency to Buy in September: Cryptocurrency investor Tim Draper says his top pick for September is Ethereum.
- 5 Types of Cold Storage for Crypto Investors: Crypto investors have a number of options for storing their digital assets offline, in "cold storage."
- Ethereum: Bull vs. Bear: The Ethereum cryptocurrency is at a crossroads, as its price has surged to new all-time highs but faces headwinds from a potential split in its community.
- GameStop Is a Dinosaur Posing As an Innovator: GameStop, the video game retailer, is struggling to keep up with the times.
- Should You Really Buy Cryptocurrencies Now?: Cryptocurrencies have seen a surge in popularity this year, but some experts say the market is due for a correction.
- SoundMind, Collectr, Combiien and other apps to check out this weekend: A round-up of the week's best technology writing, including stories on Amazon's drone delivery program, the future of email, and the death of the PC.
- Don't get NFTs just to show off, look for value in it: Arijit Mukherjee, Yunometa: NFTs, or non-fungible tokens, are the latest craze in the world of cryptocurrency. But not all NFTs are created equal.
- Ethereum geared up for The Merge: Here's all you need to know: Ethereum is gearing up for a major upgrade, called "The Merge," which could see the cryptocurrency's price skyrocket.
- Intelligent toaster and a ‘nappy fullness sensor’ among UK inventions in 2021: A round-up of some of the UK's best inventions from 2021, including an intelligent toaster and a sensor that tells you when a baby's nappy is full.
- Amazon.eth, Starbucks.bitcoin, Coke.dao? Crypto Domain Names Are The Next Big NFT Craze: Crypto domain names, like Amazon.eth and Starbucks.bitcoin, are the latest craze in the world of non-fungible tokens (NFTs).
- Only ‘A Matter Of Time’—Crypto ‘Wild Card’ Now Poised For A Huge Fed Bombshell After Bitcoin, Ethereum, BNB, XRP, Solana, Cardano And Dogecoin Price Rally: The Federal Reserve
Venice film festival 2022 week two roundup – discomfort and joy
A mood of theatricality prevailed at this year’s edition – a bleak but furiously cinematic Marilyn Monroe biopic and a forbiddingly austere French courtroom drama being the most distinctive offeringsHowever stressful Venice can get – the sweat, the coffee que…
Shape-shifting cryptominer savaging Linux endpoints and IoT
Also, Authorities seize WT1SHOP selling 5.8m sets of PII, The North Face users face tough secuirty hike In brief AT&T cybersecurity researchers have discovered a sneaky piece of malware targeting Linux endpoints and IoT devices in the hopes of gaining persist…
SoundMind, Collectr, Combiien and other apps to check out this weekend
It's time again for another episode of our Apps of the Week roundup. This week we have some great picks for you including a mental wellness app, a collection portfolio manager and an all-in-one tracker. And as always, we've selected a fun game for you to chec…
Don't get NFTs just to show off, look for value in it: Arijit Mukherjee, Yunometa
“People need to find value in what they’re buying versus having an NFT for the sake of showing off. This means that unique and innovative projects will drive most of the new NFT drops. Sport NFTs, with their inherent connection to people’s hearts and fandom, …
Ethereum geared up for The Merge: Here's all you need to know
If the merge will have an impact on the price of Ethereum, is yet to be known as there are many variables and unknowns which make the price predictions for the token impossible. One must note that the Merge is not a guaranteed price booster. The Merge will al…
Intelligent toaster and a ‘nappy fullness sensor’ among UK inventions in 2021
Other inventions include a humane insect remover, a gas-flushing toilet and a collar that stops dogs fightingAn artificial intelligence-driven toaster that gets the perfect level of brownness each time, a device to humanely remove flying insects from a room, …
6 Stocks For Investing In Crypto Mining And The Metaverse Long-Term
Crypto markets and the metaverse have had a rough year. If you believe they’ll come back into popularity, now may be an ideal time to invest in these stocks. Like any emerging tech, it’s best to limit your exposure and stay in for the long haul.
This Week’s Awesome Tech Stories From Around the Web (Through September 10)
NEUROSCIENCE A Memory Prosthesis Could Restore Memory in People With Damaged Brains Jessica Hamzelou | MIT Technology Review “A unique form of brain stimulation appears to boost people’s ability to remember new information—by mimicking the way our brains crea…