Today's news headlines cover a range of topics, including a fatal accident, new developments in the search for a missing toddler, updates on the trial of a man accused of killing his wife, and new findings about Mars.
One Dead, One Critical After Pair Fall Off Ute in Hawke's Bay
- One person is dead and another is in critical condition after they fell off a ute in Hawke's Bay, New Zealand.
- A new study finds that the use of lateral flow devices (LFDs) by contacts of confirmed COVID-19 cases can help reduce the onward transmission of the virus.
- Police in the United States are re-investigating a pool in the search for a missing toddler.
- Australian defence minister condemns Russia’s missile strikes.
- Bruce Lehrmann trial is set to continue in Australia.
- Russian defeats could mean Vladimir Putin's grip on power is weakening.
- NeNe Leakes' son reportedly suffered a heart attack and stroke.
- Max Q is a column about space exploration.
- Researchers find that ancient Mars could have been teeming with microbial life.
- A new study finds that children exposed to air pollution before age 5 show significant changes to brain structure.
- Nury Martinez has stepped down as City Council President in the wake of leaked tapes of her making derogatory comments about her colleagues.
- Updates on Melbourne Airport delays, the Ukrainian toll from the Russian attack, and a Selena Gomez trailer.
- A key moment on last night's House of the Dragon was improvised.
- The Federated Farmers of New Zealand has condemned the government's agricultural emissions pricing plan.
- A hostage-taking incident in the Philippines has raised questions about the safety of senator Leila de Lima.
- The Nasdaq falls to a 2-year low, hurt by slumping chip stocks.
- Bikie Nick 'The Knife' Forbes is arrested over an alleged bar fight with a Hells Angel.
- Aussies are quitting their high-paying jobs.
- The Victorian coalition pledges to halve V/Line fares.
- A former director of Colombian intelligence is sentenced to four years in prison for his role in the "chuzadas" wiretapping scandal.
- A recap of the Premier League match between Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa.
Daily use of lateral flow devices by contacts of confirmed COVID-19 cases to enable exemption from isolation compared with standard self-isolation to reduce onward transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in England: a randomised, controlled, non-inferiority trial
DCT with 24 h exemption from self-isolation for essential activities appears to be non-inferior to self-isolation. This study, which provided evidence for the UK Government's daily lateral flow testing policy for vaccinated contacts of COVID-19 cases, indicat…
Australia news LIVE: Defence minister condemns Russia’s latest missile strikes; Bruce Lehrmann trial set to continue
The defence minister has condemned Russia’s latest missile strikes, eight nuclear submarines are expected to add at least another $100 billion to the nation’s ballooning defence bill and the trial of the man accused of raping Brittany Higgins will continue fo…
Nury Martinez Steps Down As City Council President; Mayoral Candidates Call For Elected Officials Caught On Leaked Tape To Resign From Office — Update
UPDATED, 2:40 PM: Mayoral candidates Rick Caruso and Karen Bass have called for the three council members caught on tape in a conversation last year to resign their offices. The current mayor, Eric Garcetti, also called for the elected officials to step down,…