Today's top stories include the release of seven American prisoners in Venezuela, the recapture of the Ukrainian city of Lyman by Ukrainian troops, and the firing of an independent doctor by the NFLPA. Other stories include the NRL Grand Final, the Mars helicopter Ingenuity, and the obesitiy epidemic in the UK.
Venezuela Frees Jailed Americans in Prisoner Swap; Putin Suffers Setback in Ukraine
- The Venezuelan government releases seven jailed Americans in exchange for an undisclosed number of prisoners from the United States.
- Russian president Vladimir Putin suffers a humiliating defeat as Ukrainian troops retake the city of Lyman from separatist forces.
- The NFL Players Association fires an independent doctor who was involved in clearing Miami Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa to return from an injury.
- Australians are preparing for the NRL Grand Final, with the game set to start at 7:30pm local time.
- In South Africa, people are struggling with the high cost of living and the country's struggling economy.
- Ukrainian troops say they have taken the key town of Lyman from Russian-backed separatists, as Russian president Vladimir Putin's allies consider a possible nuclear response.
- Some weird debris falls off the Mars helicopter Ingenuity during a test flight.
- NASA's Dragonfly helicopter will be exploring a region of Saturn's moon Titan.
- Karin Traeger runs 280km along the entire length of the Yarra River in Australia, learning about the river's history and the people who live along it.
- An awkward clip surfaces of British royalty apparently feuding with each other.
- TCU upsets No. 18 Oklahoma, as the Sooners fall to 0-2 in Big 12 play for only the second time since 1998.
- Ukrainian president Zelenskyy says the Ukrainian flag is flying in Lyman again, as Russia pulls troops from the city.
- British politician Liz Truss and the Conservative Party's approval ratings take another hit in a new poll.
- Two incredibly rare exoplanets are discovered, which could give scientists insights about a planet in our own solar system.
- A hidden epidemic of sexual dysfunction is revealed, which experts believe is caused by SSRI antidepressants.
- The family of a woman who was injured on a roller coaster at the Melbourne Royal Show is considering legal action, as she continues to recover in hospital.
- The King and Queen of England are pictured with the Prince and Princess of Wales for the first time.
- Alabama quarterback Bryce Young leaves the game with a shoulder injury.
- Obesity is becoming a 'pandemic' in the United Kingdom, an obesity expert warns.
- Former United States president Jimmy Carter turns 98 years old.
Ukraine troops say they take key town, Putin ally mulls possible nuclear response
Ukrainian troops said on Saturday they had taken the key bastion of Lyman in occupied eastern Ukraine, a stinging defeat that prompted a close ally of President Vladimir Putin to call for the possible use of low-grade nuclear weapons.
Zelenskyy says Ukrainian flag flies in Lyman again, as Russia pulls troops from city
After being encircled by Ukrainian forces, Russia pulled troops out Saturday from an eastern Ukrainian city that it had been using as a front-line hub. It was the latest victory for the Ukrainian counteroffensive that has humiliated and angered the Kremlin.