Today's news covers a wide range of topics, from cryptocurrency and blockchain to payments and venture capital. Here are the highlights.
The Relationship Between Blockchain and Cryptocurrency
- A Chaotic Crypto Launch Reveals How Hard It Is to Beat Ethereum: The launch of a new cryptocurrency is always a chaotic affair, and the recent launch of Polkadot (DOT) was no different. The highly anticipated cryptocurrency hit exchanges on August 21, and its price immediately skyrocketed to a high of $4.50 before crashing back down to earth.
- Boost Mobile’s new no-fee banking comes with a surprising number of fees: Boost Mobile, a subsidiary of Sprint, is now offering a no-fee mobile banking service. However, the service comes with a number of other fees, including a $2.50 ATM fee and a $5.95 fee for international transactions.
- Never pay the ransom — a cybersecurity CEO explains why: Cybersecurity experts have long advised against paying ransomware demands, and a new report from cybersecurity firm Kaspersky adds more fuel to that fire. The report found that only 13 percent of ransomware victims who paid the ransom actually had their data recovered.
- Britain proposes regulation of all cryptoassets: The British government has proposed a new set of regulations that would cover all cryptoassets, including cryptocurrencies, ICOs, and exchanges. The proposed regulations are designed to protect investors and prevent crime.
- US stocks trade mixed as GDP lifts sentiment while investors brace for next wave of mega-cap earnings: US stocks traded mixed on Friday as investors digested a strong GDP report and braced for a wave of earnings from mega-cap companies.
- First Bitcoin ETF Loses Record Amount In Its Initial Year: The world's first Bitcoin exchange-traded fund (ETF) has lost a record $190 million in its first year of operation. The ETF, which is traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange, tracks the price of Bitcoin and is backed by the Canadian investment firm Purpose Investments.
- US stocks climb after GDP shows economy returning to growth, while Big Tech earnings continue to disappoint: US stocks climbed on Thursday after a strong GDP report showed the economy returning to growth, while earnings from Big Tech companies continued to disappoint investors.
- A 40-year-old physical therapist got $222,000 in student loans forgiven through PSLF and used 2 tax strategies to pay as little as possible along the way: A 40-year-old physical therapist who graduated from college with $222,000 in student loans used two tax strategies to pay as little as possible on her loans. By taking advantage of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program and the Student Loan Interest Deduction, she was able to get her loans forgiven and save money on taxes.
- Fraud, cryptos, regulation, and BNPL were the most prominent themes at Money20/20 this year: Fraud, cryptos, regulation, and BNPL were the most prominent themes at Money20/20 this year. Money20/20 is a payments and financial technology conference that takes place every year in Las Vegas.
- Top VCs view payments startups as 'inflation hedged.' Here's why they're so bullish on the space: Venture capitalists are bullish on the payments startup space because they view these companies as "inflation hedged." In other words, they believe that these companies will be able to survive and thrive in an environment of inflation.
- Fidelity vs. TD Ameritrade: How the brokerages compare: Fidelity and TD Ameritrade are two of the largest online brokerages in the US. They both offer a wide range of products and services, but there are some key differences between them.
- Relationship Between Blockchain and Cryptocurrency: The relationship between blockchain and cryptocurrency is a topic of much debate. Some people believe that blockchain is the future of cryptocurrency, while others believe that the two are unrelated.
- The surprising maturity of the crypto-rave crowd: The crypto-rave crowd is a surprisingly mature group of people who are interested in cryptocurrency and the new technologies that are being developed to support it.
- Everything You Need to Know About Crypto-Friendly Banks: Crypto-friendly banks are a new breed of financial institution that is designed to cater to the needs of the cryptocurrency industry. These banks offer a wide range of services, including checking and savings accounts, loans, and credit lines.
- Purpleurchin cryptocurrency miners spotted scouring free GitHub, Heroku accounts: Purpleurchin, a new cryptocurrency mining software, has been spotted scouring free GitHub and Heroku accounts for vulnerable machines. The software appears to be targeting users who are not aware of the risks of mining cryptocurrencies.
- Apex Legends' Catalyst Probably Won't Shake Up The Meta, But She's The
First Bitcoin ETF Loses Record Amount In Its Initial Year
One year after its record-breaking launch, the world's first exchange traded fund tracking the price of bitcoin has lost more of investors' dollars than any other ETF debut. The Financial Times reports: Asset manager ProShares launched its Bitcoin Strategy fu…
A 40-year-old physical therapist got $222,000 in student loans forgiven through PSLF and used 2 tax strategies to pay as little as possible along the way
Robert Metzger increased his retirement and FSA contributions to lower his AGI on his tax return, which led to lower monthly student loan payments.
Relationship Between Blockchain and Cryptocurrency
Whenever the word blockchain is used, cryptocurrency automatically comes to mind, and it’s true the other way as well. Many people believe that the two are synonymous and, thus, are often used interchangeably, but it couldn’t be more wrong. Cryptocurrencies a…
Purpleurchin cryptocurrency miners spotted scouring free GitHub, Heroku accounts
This is why we can't have nice things A stealthy cryptocurrency mining operation has been spotted using thousands of free accounts on GitHub, Heroku and other DevOps outfits to craft digital tokens. GitHub, for one, forbids the mining of coins using its cloud…
Apex Legends' Catalyst Probably Won't Shake Up The Meta, But She's The Type Of Defender We Need More Of
Respawn is absolutely spoiling me, releasing two incredible defender legends within the span of half a year. I've already spoken at length as to why I love Season 13's Newcastle for how his ability kit supports players who aren't that good at first-person sho…
NOMA To Partner On New International Distribution Platform CinemaAirLane Set To Launch In 2023
EXCLUSIVE: Producer Arihiro Wada and Director Taichi Ito have partnered on CinemaAirLane, a new international distribution platform set to launch in 2023, which will partner with international film studio NOMA. The company’s main goal will be to simplify glob…
How publishers are winning the holiday commerce game with real-time analytics
Rebecca Cole, head of marketing, Sovrn Q4 earnings season is here, and for affiliate marketers, it’s an opportunity to capitalize on online holiday shopping and time-sensitive deals to generate as much income as possible. But with recession-squeezed consumers…