Today's headlines cover a range of topics, from the stock market to crypto to current events. Here's a look at what's making news today.
Bitcoin Jumps to $21K After Soft US Data, Less Hawkish Bank of Canada
- The Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME) reported higher than expected profits, attributing the surge to increased trading volumes.
- Andreessen Horowitz (a16z), a venture capital firm with a heavy focus on cryptocurrency, lost 40% of the value of its crypto fund in the first half of 2022.
- ProShares, a company that offers exchange-traded funds (ETFs) focused on cryptocurrency, saw its Bitcoin Futures Fund burn through a record $1.2 billion of investors' money over the course of its first year.
- The stock market traded mixed on Thursday, with tech stocks leading the way down after a number of companies reported weak earnings.
- The U.S. Department of Justice has accused a Ukrainian man of renting out the Raccoon malware, which is used to steal information from PCs, to criminals.
- Google reported its slowest revenue growth in nearly 10 years, leading to a decline in its share price.
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk has hinted that he may take action against Apple's in-app purchase fees after Twitter announced that it would no longer allow them on its platform.
- If you had invested in Bitcoin following advice from Matt Damon, you would have lost a lot of money over the past year.
- Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Dogecoin are all up today, with Bitcoin reaching a new all-time high.
- U.S. stocks traded mixed on Friday as earnings from mega-cap tech companies got off to a weak start.
- A new report shows that Bitcoin is popular with young investors, who see it as a way to get around the current financial system.
- There is speculation that crypto brokers may cash out the donation wallets intended for the Russian military.
- Police in Arizona are investigating letters that have been sent to Democrats and voters that contain creepy messages and threats.
- The outlook for the cryptocurrency market is more bearish than bullish, with a number of factors working against a recovery.
- Kollider, a startup that is building financial products for the Lightning Network, has raised $2.4 million.
- Bitcoin surged on Wednesday, with the price rising above $20,000 for the first time since December 2017.
- The mention of cryptocurrency in Australia's budget shows that the government is taking the industry seriously.
- Bitcoin jumped to $21,000 after a weak jobs report from the U.S. and less hawkish comments from the Bank of Canada.
- Midwits, Wassies, and HODLers are some of the most popular memes in the cryptocurrency trading community.
- The cryptocurrency markets saw the largest short liquidations in 15 months on Wednesday, with Ethereum leading the way.
- Bloomberg's new "Crypto Outlook" report is bullish on Bitcoin and Ethereum, but bearish on most other cryptocurrencies.
- A16z's Largest Crypto Fund Loses 40% Value in First Half of 2022: Report
- In Topsy Turvy Market Logic, Positive U.S. GDP Could Be Negative For Crypto
- DeFi Must Be Defended
- What a Web3 Hackathon Teaches Us About Diversity in Crypto
- Elon Musk's Recommendation To Invest In 'Physical Things' May Be His Best Advice Yet
- Bitcoin Fundamentalism: The Moral And Logical High Ground
- Let The Free Market Regulate The Value And Efficiency Of Bitcoin
Exchange operator CME tops profit views as trading volumes surge
Futures exchange operator CME Group Inc <a href="https://www.reuters.com/companies/CME.O" target="_blank">(CME.O)</a> reported third-quarter profits that beat expectations as volatility in the global markets amid high inflation, aggressive rate hikes and rece…
Andreessen Horowitz Went All In on Crypto at the Worst Possible Time
As cryptocurrency prices soared last year, no investor bet more on the sector than Andreessen Horowitz. The timing wasn't good. From a report: The storied venture-capital firm had developed a reputation as Silicon Valley's greatest crypto bull, thanks largely…
Stock market news live updates: Tech titans lead stocks down after weak earnings
<ol><li>Stock market news live updates: Tech titans lead stocks down after weak earnings Yahoo Canada Finance </li><li>Tech giants disappoint — and they're dragging the index down with them Financial Post </li><li>Alphabet’s Quarterly Earnings No Longer a…
Feds accuse Ukrainian of renting out PC-raiding Raccoon malware to fiends
Separately, charges slapped on alleged operator of dark market, The Real Deal Mark Sokolovsky, 26, a Ukrainian national, is being held in the Netherlands while he awaits extradition to America on cybercrime charges, the US Justice Department said on Tuesday.…
Google Reports Slowest Revenue Growth In Nearly 10 Years via @sejournal, @MattGSouthern
Shares of Google-parent Alphabet are down sharply after the company's latest earnings report reveals the slowest quarter for revenue growth in almost a decade. The post Google Reports Slowest Revenue Growth In Nearly 10 Years appeared first on Search Engine …
Will Crypto Brokers Cashout The Donation Wallets Intended For The Russian Military?
A release of a months-long analysis of 3348 Russian-speaking Telegram channels resulted in finding 336 donation cryptocurrency wallets that continue to raise money for the Russian military and trace their flows to financial institutions. Will the institutions…
‘I’m Watching You’: Cops Probe Creepy Election Letters to Arizona Democrats, Voters
Courtesy of Dan Roper PHOENIX—A shadowy right-wing group has launched a “scary” vigilante campaign in the battleground state of Arizona that has attracted police attention and put Democratic leaders and voters on edge just days before midterm elections.The a…